Sunday, January 9, 2011


A flock of geese rise from a half frozen farm pond. I must admit to somewhat engineering this shot, I guessed that if I approached the pond from a distance, at some point I would spook the birds into action. With a long lense on a monopod I would walk a yard at a time, focusing all the way and waiting for the moment. In retrospect, I don't think I would repeat this method. Is it unethical? At the time I thought not, my self serving reasoning was that I photograph news conferences and many similar situations that would absolutely not be occurring if I weren't there to photograph them. This was in fact a bitter pill caught up in a lot of my thoughts at the time. But pretending to accidently spook the geese, while getting me the shot I need to fill the hole, probably kept me from seeing the better photo right in front of me. You need to have confidence that the photo is there. When I do, more often then not I find it.